Hubby dearest loves his pickled veggies. This summer my green beans went a bit nuts and so I decided to try to bring them under control by pickling them. Since he likes hot and spicy, I got a hot and spicy recipe. Today I dug the pickled beans out from the back of the fridge where they have been sitting for the last eight weeks and we tried them. These beans are crunchy-crisp, very hot and not very salty. And the verdict is delicious.
You can find the recipe here thanks to Rita~ who says “I enjoyed these when I was in New Orleans Garnishing a Bloody Mary and had to come home and duplicate them. They can also be enjoyed as a side. Having a nice kick to them. Nice for gift giving.”
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups vinegar, 5% acidity
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 chile, sliced in 8 long strips
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/2 lbs string beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, over high heat, bring the first 9 ingredients to a boil, then turn off the heat, stirring until dissolved. Add the chilies and garlic. Remove from heat.
- Wash and trim the green beans. Bring a large pot of water with the 1 teaspoon salt to a boil over medium heat. Add the beans. Cook until the beans begin to turn bright green and are just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Rinse immediately with cold water and put them in an ice bath for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Pack beans in sterilized jars then cover with the vinegar mixture.
- Place lids and caps on cleaned rimmed jars.
- Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes, remove and cool in a draft free spot for 24 hours.
- You can also put them in sterilized jars and refrigerate instead of doing the canning process. Let flavors meld for 1 week. Just keep under refrigeration and eat within 1 month.
- I canned 2 jars and the 3rd was what I had left over for munching which was refrigerated.